Vet-day-2014
4Wheel Parts Coppell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ever been to Broken Bow, Oklahoma?

I am going to take a trip to Broken Bow Oklahoma. I know there are lots of ATV trails there so I called the Oklahoma State parks office. They sent me a map of the Three Rivers Wild Life Management forest and surrounding parks. It is mostly maps of logging roads and other trails, along with other information. They told me I could drive my jeep on the roads and trails unless otherwise posted. I am thinking it is going to be mostly senic driving, but this is not ment to be a wheelin' trip. Just wondering if anyone has ever been to that area and know what it's like.
    Kyle McGee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

I've only been to go on the lake. Really pretty area though.
    2000 XJ, 2013 JKUR, 2014 WK2

Get Your Free Quote Here!

Brady Ingle Insurance

www.bradyingle.com

(972)475-2408

the area is awesome and has lots of fun roads to play on. We took the wife's 4x4 Liberty and had a blast up until it got dark and the road that we where on ended at a meth lab and two guys came out of their trailer with shotguns and we took off but it was still fun what they don't know is that whenever this old scout travels he is armed to the teeth, just a throw back to my military time. You can take the boy out of the Army but you can't take the Army out of the boy hahaha.

Flying M is offline LSJC Member / "Human Flop Club"/ LSJC Trail Leader / October 2012 JOTM LSJC Member
    I've been there a few times. There are numerous roads/trails. Most of the better old logging roads are on the northern end of the lake, going to the east off of hwy 259 (take a right any dirt road after the tall watch tower/ranger station on top of the mountain...you can't miss it). Only a few areas actually need 4wd, although I did find my 2low very handy. Many of the roads become narrow through the trees, so if you a purdy jeep that you don't want branch pin stripping it will limit where you want go.

Most of the looging roads are marked with numbers. those ending in 000 lead to a main road, those ending in 00 lead to 000 roads; 0 lead to 00 roads, and those ending in other numbers are dead ends (sometime very senic dead ends). Most of the locals are very friendly and know the roads well, specially if they have a Jeep. Ask around for good areas to drive. Lastly, if you have most of a day open, the east side of the lake is supposed to have some nice areas, including a 90ft cliff into the lake (that some supposedly jump off of). If you do a search of past threads you can find more info.

Thanks for all the info. I will post something after my trip there.
    Kyle McGee

I have been to those cliffs. My ex's family is from Broken Bow and a small town to the north. I can remember the name right now, but they took me on some backroads and trials that were awesome. They own like two mountains up there and lease the land to the paper companys, so they new the "honey holes" to go wheel hard. Those cliffs are unreal and people (witnessed it) do jump off them. What was really cool was we were on the lake when a small storm rolled through, so we used the cliffs as shelter for a while until they turned into waterfalls, lol. Very cool place. Have a good/safe trip and do watch out for the meth labs.

went there over spring break this year. had a great time. make sure you stay on the state park property, not the reservation land, they'll rape you.

I reserved a cabin on the lake and the guy I talked to said he grew up there. He said there were lots of good places to drive a jeep and he would show me on the map where to go. I head there at the end of May, and hopefully he can tell me where the meth areas and the reservation lands are so I can avoid getting shot or worse....
    Kyle McGee

Looking forward to your photos. This is a trip I would like to take with my wife in the fall.

Thanks for the great idea.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jeepLJ View Post
    ...and hopefully he can tell me where the meth areas and the reservation lands are so I can avoid getting shot or worse....
    If the locations of the meth labs are so well known, I wonder what they're still doing there? That must be one lazy sherriff, or he's in on it!

BTW, you can also check out the Expedition Portal. Several of those boys head in to the more desolate hills on a regular basis for multi-night camping/driving adventures. I'll be heading in to the Ouchitas at some point this summer.