LSJC PowderPuff Run 2014
Screaming Lizard
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    gonzoman is offline Honorary Membership / Past Presidente LSJC Member

Holley pro jection

Does anyone have any experience with this God forsaken fuel injection system? My CJ has one in it. It acted like it ran out of gas... sputtered to a stop and has not started sinse.

1. I can see the injecter pumping fuel
    2. I can see spark at the coil and the plugs
    3. The Jeeps runs if I pour the same gas in the tank directly into the throttle body.
    4. tried disconnecting the different sensors 1 at a time and starting it. still nothing.

Anyone had one of these things? Performance wise its better than a carb...I would hate to have to go back to one.
    RUNNING!! 1996 ZJ HP30m D44m Re superflex 3.5 & 2"pucks, 32" mtrs, 231 sye auto

Running!l 1986 CJ spring over, full ford 9" w spool, d44 front locked, d300 twin stick, 35" swampers,5:89 gears

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

check the fuel level?

This was an interesting read!

http://www.dirtfirst.com/home_frames.htm

Problems

The Holley Pro-Jection system ran reasonably well for the first 6 months. After that, more serious problems began to surface. The beginning of the end was during an off-road trip to the Los Coyotes Indian reservation. Half way there, my engine stalled on the freeway, I has able to nurse it off the freeway and into a gas station parking lot. After about 20 minutes of analyzing the problem, I discovered that one of the fuel injectors was flooding the engine, it was literally dumping quarts of raw gas into the intake manifold. We disconnected the injector and got the engine started. The power was week, but it was enough for me to try to drive it home. My friends followed my for a few miles, then I asked one of them to check if they could see any smoke because something smelled funny. He said it looked fine, then 10 seconds later he told me to pull over because I has on fire. Apparently, there was raw gas in the muffler, and when the catalytic converter got to operating temperature, it set off the gas fumes. I have a 3" exhaust, and witnesses say there was a four foot long, 3 inch round torch flame coming out the back of my Jeep. Being that it was night time, it looked pretty cool. We didn't get home until 5AM, so totally disgusted; I parked the Jeep and saved the analysis for another day. The failure was actually the ECU (Electronic Control Unit, or computer). I switched the injector caps and the other injector went to flood mode while the suspected injector worked fine. I contacted Holley Technical Support, and, with some measure of resistance, they agreed to test the unit and replace it if I was correct (they replaced it). Now, the new problems began.

The replaced ECU had an inherent problem. Whenever I used my CB radio, the engine would stall. The old ECU never had that problem. I called Holley Technical Support again and they told me to relocate the CB, or the ECU, and to shield the tachometer wire. I told them that the old ECU had no problems and that I wanted another ECU. The 3rd ECU had the same problem, and later I came to find out that this was an common problem that they were hiding from the public and had no intention of correcting it. Holley is not like GM and Ford where they can be forced to do a recall. So there I has, stuck with a bad computer. A friend of mine, who is an electronics engineer, bought $5 worth of parts and minimized the problem greatly using 40 year old electronics technology. At this point I lost all respect for Holley.

I know that some of you may be skeptical and think that I simply needed to re-wire my CB, let me set you straight on the extent of this problem. I completely remove the CB and CB antenna from my Jeep. My friend pulled beside me and fired up his CB. His CB stalled my engine! A CB, not installed in my Jeep, stalled my engine. This is unacceptable. My personal opinion is that the Holley Technical Support personnel were told by their management to blame the problem on the customer, rather than do the right thing by offering a refund. My opinion is based on the immediate resistance that I received from the Holley Tech support personnel when I first mentioned the CB radio problem. Just imagine, you're driving down a remote mountain highway, you pass a semi truck on a long curve, the truck operators fires up his CB, your engine stalls, you spin out of control and die after falling 1000 feet down the rocky mountain ledge. Does Holley care? Apparently not, they got the $800 bucks out of you before you died! This problem is very well known (NOW!) in offroading circles and most fwd'ers prefer to avoid the Holley system.

My Jeep Today

It has been nearly two years since I purchased the Pro-Jection system which is currently installed in a box in my garage (it seems to work best in a box in the garage). Holley has 800 of my hard earned dollars, and I still have a carburetor in my Jeep. The last time I used the fuel injection was on an off-road trip and the system worked fine the first day. I pulled into camp to get a sandwich and the Jeep would not start again. Being well prepared (now that I know about Projection), I had a carburetor bolted to the fender well under the hood of the Jeep and a low pressure fuel pump installed next to the high pressure fuel injection pump. In about an hour, I switched over to the carburetor and finished off the weekend. I have been using that carburetor ever since, and I have not had a problem since then either.

Don't get the wrong impression, I still have a great desire for a fuel injected Jeep (more on this in a future article). I consider this an $800 lesson that, the only way to go is to use FACTORY, FACTORY, FACTORY products that run on thousands of cars and trucks. Parts that can be purchased and replaced nearly anywhere. Parts that have been proven by the test of time and designed by competent engineering. The only words I have for Holley are "Stick to the carburetor and throttle body market, stay out of auto electronics!".

I have resisted the urge to reply til now, hoping somebody had something good to say about this system. I was hoping it had changed since I had mine several years back. Aparrently not. I put mine on and spent hours, even entire days, trying to remedy the problem. Holley sent me part after part to replace and "try" but nothing helped. Finally, they sent me an entire new system in box. I took the old one off, boxed it up, and sent it back for analysis. I put my carb back on and sold the new one. Never did hear from Holley again. In my opinion, avoid this system!!!!!!

gonzoman is offline Honorary Membership / Past Presidente LSJC Member
    ouch
    RUNNING!! 1996 ZJ HP30m D44m Re superflex 3.5 & 2"pucks, 32" mtrs, 231 sye auto

Running!l 1986 CJ spring over, full ford 9" w spool, d44 front locked, d300 twin stick, 35" swampers,5:89 gears

Have ran a Holley Projection for many years with no problems at all except a fuel pump, I replaced with a cheap pump and had lots of problems until I bought a holley and has not missed a lick since. I have a old 2 bbl analog sytem and I run my jeep HARD! I run a chevy 350 straight up, upside down and every direction in between. No problems here.

Sorry Gonzo but thats the same thing I keep hearing from a lot of folks. But I hear great things from Howell!

Quote Originally Posted by redrockrunner View Post
    Have ran a Holley Projection for many years with no problems at all except a fuel pump, I replaced with a cheap pump and had lots of problems until I bought a holley and has not missed a lick since. I have a old 2 bbl analog sytem and I run my jeep HARD! I run a chevy 350 straight up, upside down and every direction in between. No problems here.
    Well, there ya go. There is hope after all!

A friend runs the digital projection on his 383 and it seems to work great. I hear the same as the above about the earlier systems.

Ed