PSC

Jeep WW2 Military Trailer - MBT

Pending sale

I have a WW2 Military trailer Model MBT in decent shape. The pic below is NOT the trailer but is the style. 1/4 ton rating - very solid trailer. I have sandblasted and repainted everything under the bed (axle, springs, shocks, etc) about 5 years ago. These trailers normally have a pintle hook arrangement but this one has been cut off and a standard hitch welded on. The rear tailgate has been removed and would need hinges welded back on if you wanted to use it. 16" wheels. The tires have good tread and hold air but do have age cracks. One fender has a tear in the sheetmetal from poor driving and a very solid fence post. I have used this trailer around the farm (Nacogdoches) and that is where it is - I can get pics next time I am out there.

I have seen examples similar to mine sell for $400 (rough) up to $1000 (restored). Pulls great behind my Jeep. These are really neat trailers esp with some restoration (couple rattle cans of olive drab or do a camo/desert storm scheme). Would be a great jeep - off road - camping trailer (my original plans). Will sell for $300. If seriously interested, let me know and I can get pics, meet you at the farm (nacogdoches) next time I am there or bring to my primary home (McKinney).

Again, the trailer below is NOT mine but shows the type - mine is NOT as nice as the pic.

http://www.jeeptech.com/images/mbt.jpg

Update - I have had MANY questions about this. Here is some more info:

No title - will do bill of sale. That is how I bought it.

Not currently tagged but when I was using it, I registered it as a home made trailer with Bill of Sale to get tags - no problem doing this - very common.

Rust - very clean for 60(?) years old - I haven't used it for several years - I have had it for probably 10 years and it is kept in a covered shed - I believe there are a few pinholes in one corner of the bed (prob where water set for some time) but bed is very solid. No rust on frame, etc......these things are thick and stout. Tailgate does have some rust-through.

Tailgate - had some non-original hinges welded from frame to tailgate - welds broke so tailgate is not attached. Easy fix. Tailgate has 2 latches at top to secure.

Wiring - I had rewired it prob 6-7 years ago - standard trailer connector - uses jeep style trailer lights - cheap and available.

It has a "leg" support on the front to hold the trailer level when disconnected

yes, it has the attachment points for a canvas top/rope ties

no, it does not have an ammo carrier. I suggest keeping ammo within reach of the jeep driver.

These trailers had a "parking brake" - doesn't work - not sure what it would take to work - I will throw in 2 bricks or nice rocks (your choice) for tire stops

It is olive drab green - faded however - I would rattle can it back to pristine condition - flat olive drab - the wheels are the original solid steel wheel and were painted red primer when I got it........they need to be rattle canned.

The wheel bearings are good - I have repacked them - no slop at all. These things are tough.

yes, it has shocks. look to be factory original.

I do believe it has the original serial plate

I believe the wheels are 6 bolt........unsure what the bolt pattern is. I do know the drivers side is a left hand thread to ensure it stays tight - took me a can of wd40 and the development of a few new combinations of 4 letter words to realize this. All the lugs are present and accounted for - at ease soldier.

yes, it pulls great behind a jeep - I have towed it behind my wrangler at 70mph with a load in it.

No, I am not sure it is a MBT model. In fact, after looking at a few more sites, it may be a M100. It looks like this (which also looks like the MBT in my opinion) - the condition of the one is this pic is very similar to mine and you can see the front "leg" and the handbrake (non-working on mine). Again, the pic is NOT mine - just a reference pic. Maybe someone into military vehicles can tell more about the differences (if any).

http://members.cox.net/ww2willysmbfo...railerM100.jpg

Another pic showing how the "leg" works and this one shows the original pintle hook which now has a 2" receiver welded on - this one appears to have a non-original arrangement for the parking brake. You can see how the rope attachments were to be used for the rope/canvas top (mine does not have a canvas top). Again, pics are NOT mine.

http://wwiijeepparts.com/Archives/JeepTrailer.html

I will get actual pics next time I am out at the farm........expect that to before Christmas.
    Last edited by texasjpn; 01-24-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: more info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

New Page 1

Bushwacker is offline LSJC Trail Leader - Mr. July 2014 LSJC Member
    pmed you
    Joe

01 TJ 4.0 5 Spd.
    04 WJ 4.0 4X4

Just the trailer I want.

Wish I had the cash.

Updates added due to many inquiries. If you pm me with questions, I will just add the answer to the OP so everyone can see.

Mbt Trailer

iS THE TRAILER STILL FOR SALE? iF SO CAN YOU EMAIL ME PICTURES? tHANKS
    Dave V
    dandavissotzky@comcast.net

update for those inquiring:

I was not able to make it out the farm where the trailer is and it will prob be mid Jan before I do. At that time, I plan to bring it back to Mckinney and can show/get pics/etc. Sorry for delay.

Any word on the trailer...I am very interested.