Beach Bash 2014
Collins Bros
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XJ Engine Swap????

I'm thinking of swapping in a V8 to the XJ, and am curious what's the average cost on an engine swap. I don't think I care about switching all the drivetrain, except maybe the tranny if needed. Just curiousity at this point.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

While it can and has been done, I seriously wouldnt bother. If you really want more power, rebuild the motor and stroke it. You can do this for less money than a *proper V8 swap

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    While it can and has been done, I seriously wouldnt bother. If you really want more power, rebuild the motor and stroke it. You can do this for less money than a *proper V8 swap
    Well, I was thinking of swapping since I would like to be able to tow with the XJ, and want it to still make it up hills. Would the stroker kit provide enought oomph to do that?

Also, anyone have or done the stroker kit, just curious how much gain you noticed/ do you have to run premium, how good/bad is the mileage, etc. How does it compare to supercharging???

Check this out for XJ performance info...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Quote Originally Posted by DJFriar
    Well, I was thinking of swapping since I would like to be able to tow with the XJ, and want it to still make it up hills. Would the stroker kit provide enought oomph to do that?

Also, anyone have or done the stroker kit, just curious how much gain you noticed/ do you have to run premium, how good/bad is the mileage, etc. How does it compare to supercharging???
    With a stroker engine, you should have all the power your XJ chassis is capable of safely towing. When you get into engine swaps, cooling becomes a big issue. This is worse on an XJ with its short wide radiator.

I built my stroker in 98, before there was any information on the net about it, and the only kits were $$$$.

It has plenty of power, and with my set-up I can run on 87 octane. As far as mileage, I got 17 MPG with 35" tires when it was DD back then.

Expert offroad installed a stroker in an XJ a few months back. While it did take 91 octane to get top preformance, I have never been scared in a jeep going in a straight line before this.

I pulled it into the shop one night and broke the tires loose :o
    I belive it was 80 HP over stock, something close to 300 hp.

190hp *stock*+80hp = 270hp!!! WHOA MOMMA!!! :jawdrop:

whats the price on all that power?

I don't have a clue about prices, I just hang out and help. But I am sure it is around 3k or more.

Johhny: Yeah, it was around 270 hp. It felt like more because he had the jeep geared already.

2k or so?