Vet-day-2014
Collins Bros
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Trailer inspection now required for Texas

If there is anyone who is not aware of it yet, Texas now requires trailers to be inspected. And from what I hear the DPS and State Troopers are all over the trailers and writing tickets.

Items of Inspection

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...classsubmit=Go
    Kyle McGee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

Would this include my Harbor Freight folding 4X8 trailer?
    Mark

2012 Crush Orange 2 Door JK Sport. Rubi wheels and tires and sliders for now...

Not unless it weighs over 4500 pounds. So I am saying NO. They are cracking down on large load trailers operating without trailer brakes. If your trailer weighs over 4500 pounds was not manufactured with trailer brakes then you will be required by law to add them to pass inspection.
    Kyle McGee

Weighs over 4500# with load, or empty?

Ed

good question- calling the state now. I will post what I find out.
    Kyle McGee

Thanks for making that call! Let us know. I would bet most trailers do not weigh over 4500# empty, but probably do loaded with a rig.

Ed

x2, will be nice to know

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Taxi View Post
    Thanks for making that call! Let us know. I would bet most trailers do not weigh over 4500# empty, but probably do loaded with a rig.

Ed

mine is close, but the mfr lists the weight unoptioned...

I was surprised when I saw an inspection sticker on our new 5th Wheel RV. Any idea how they do the brake test?
    -------------
    . ____________
    /__/l ,[____],
    l---|---L -OlllllllO-
    (o)_) (o)_)--o-)_)

I talked to the DPS and this is what I found out.

This is not a new law. Trailers have always required yearly inspections, but a recent enforcement campaign has begun. (Probably to generate revenue for the state)

If the total unloaded weight of the trailer is over 4500 lbs it is required to be inspected.

The inspection covers all types of trailers, bumper pull, goose neck, enclosed, travel trailers, etc…

The number of axels does not matter, it goes by weight.

Brakes on the all inspected trailers are required.

If manufactured after a certain date (which the guy did not know off the top of his head) an operational break away brake is required. Or if the trailer was originally equipped with the break away brake, it must be functional.

And mud flaps are required on the rear axle.

I called my local Kwik Kar oil change place and they said they did trailer inspections. I asked what all they checked and he said: “We check tires and lights” I said, “Do you check the trailer brakes” He said “No, its not required” I told the guy at the DPS what the Kwik Kar said and he said that was typical. Most places don’t properly inspect the trailers, but even with the valid inspection sticker they can still ticket you for not having functional equipment on the trailer.
    Kyle McGee