Baertrax
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How will Chrysler get out of paying for this?

Had a nice surprise last week when my son returned home in the Jeep. Loss of power, lots of noise, check engine, misfiring, etc. Codes indicated two cylinders misfiring and camshaft synchronizer problem.

Turns out there was a recall (TSB E05) of 05s built from Dec 04 to Feb 05 of the OPDA (Oil Pump Drive Assembly), also known as the camshaft synchronizer. I was able to poke around and find the problem (see pictures). Turns out that it was already replaced back in 05 as a result of the recall but the same thing happened again.

Of course, Huffines says they have to put it together and diagnose what the problem is (I guess it's too obvious from looking at the parts!) and go from there.

I'm not sure how they are going to try and wiggle out of paying for this one (should be covered under 7 year/70K miles drivetrain warranty) but I'm prepared to do battle. Kicker is it's an 05 with 16K miles so that throws just about all of their arguments out of the window. I'm waiting to hear from them on Monday!

Damage to internal camshaft

Damage to OPDA/camshaft synchronizer
    RedHotRubi: 05 Rubicon Unlimited: RE 4.5 SA Lift, 33 MTRs, Diamond Offroad Rear Bumper, Skid Row Gas, Engine and Steering Skid, Baertrax Buttface & Tie Rod, HEM4x4 Front Bumper, Warn M8000 winch

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

New Page 1

Ouch.. Hope all goes well.

Sorry to hear about that!

That don't look good.

Thats what warranty is for.

Why do you think they will try to get out of paying for it?

Quote Originally Posted by in the open View Post
    Thats what warranty is for.

Why do you think they will try to get out of paying for it?
    Just the initial attitude of the service department: Such as needing to put it together to diagnose the problem, and my shop foreman is out until Monday, and a charge for diagnosing the problem, and saying they need to make sure the vehicle has been maintained properly.

Is is not obvious what the problem is or am I missing some corporate checklist that they need to go through?
    RedHotRubi: 05 Rubicon Unlimited: RE 4.5 SA Lift, 33 MTRs, Diamond Offroad Rear Bumper, Skid Row Gas, Engine and Steering Skid, Baertrax Buttface & Tie Rod, HEM4x4 Front Bumper, Warn M8000 winch

I wouldn't take anything less than a new engine. With all that metal damage you have no idea what it did to the bearings and internals.

Quote Originally Posted by percle View Post
    Just the initial attitude of the service department: Such as needing to put it together to diagnose the problem, and my shop foreman is out until Monday, and a charge for diagnosing the problem, and saying they need to make sure the vehicle has been maintained properly.
    Is is not obvious what the problem is or am I missing some corporate checklist that they need to go through?
    Maintained properly?? It only has 16k miles on it.... What maintenance was it needing....other than a new cam, ds gear, oil pump drive, etc......from the factory.

Itll work out, they have their steps to follow no matter how frustrating it may be.

Any body got VIN numbers of the affected vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
    Any body got VIN numbers of the affected vehicles?
    You can go on the jeep website and find a link to use with your VIN to find recalls