LSJC PowderPuff Run 2014
Collins Bros

arb vs eaton elocker vs ox locker

Well next month im going to be changing out to a stronger axle setup and was wondering which locker would be the best. Also iim trying to stay cheap so would a super 35 kit sufice for 35's? I thought about going with an 8.8 but i figure that gonna cost a pretty penny yoo.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

Quote Originally Posted by crawlinTJ View Post
    Well next month im going to be changing out to a stronger axle setup and was wondering which locker would be the best. Also iim trying to stay cheap so would a super 35 kit sufice for 35's? I thought about going with an 8.8 but i figure that gonna cost a pretty penny yoo.
    Way cheaper and stronger to go with an 8.8 that has a LS in it for now, plus disc breaks as a nice bonus (95 and up). The super 35 is just an expensive bandaide. ARB and OX are both good choice but I have heard mixed reviews on the other.
    98 TJ , Done, finished, out!!!!!

I dont care about going with a different axle setup unless it has a locker in it? How much is the average 8.8 swap anyways?

Flying M is offline LSJC Member / "Human Flop Club"/ LSJC Trail Leader / October 2012 JOTM LSJC Member
    Don't waste money on the d35. Many here can tell you personal stories. You'll end up spending the money twice (or more), because if you wheel you will eventually replace the d35.. Spend the money on an 8.8. I have a Detriot in my 8.8 and it does not cause me any problems on the road. Yes, if you get on and off the gas fast while going down the hwy you'll feel the back end wiggle a little. You learn to avoid doing that, and it's a Jeep, not a sports car.

If you are set on a selectable, I don't think you can go wrong with either the ARB or OX. There are people here that have each, and can provide a more educated response. Just DO NOT lock the d35.
    Affordable Care Act is here, like it or not. Questions on requirements, options, insurance providers? I'm an independent agent and adviser.

I spent a few bucks on a d35, wasted, built an 8.8, i couldnt break it, i broke output shafts on tcase, broke u joints, twisted a DS, the welded 8.8 never flinched.

Buddy of mine has a 8.8 for sale setup for a tj, and a d30, both have 4.10-4.11 gears. He wants $1200 for it. Also has a little shop on the side he can install.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/2134286261.html

go with the 8.8. you can find them cheap at the junk yard then just buy a bracket kit for a tj and a flange adapter.

I am probably not the best person to give advise on lockers. 3 of the jeeps I have wheeled and daily driven had a welded rear end and a lockrite front. locked front and rear for under $300. True it would wear out the rear tires faster but I always buy used tires and made friends with the guys at the tire shop.
    1950 CJ3a f4 hurricane 3 SPD 2" lift and 33/10/15 tsl.
    1993 XJ 2dr buggy 4.0 5 SPD 44/9 5.38s 37s locked and 12" stretch
    2002 F250 7.3 4x4 crew cab short bed too much to list.

Bear is offline LSJC Bronze Sponsor,LSJC Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by crawlinTJ View Post
    Well next month im going to be changing out to a stronger axle setup and was wondering which locker would be the best. Also im trying to stay cheap so would a super 35 kit sufice for 35's? I thought about going with an 8.8 but i figure that gonna cost a pretty penny yoo.
    Can't have both!

Best locker is easily the ARB. Fully locked when you need maximum traction, open for street driving or tight turns and no extra tire wear.

The reliability issues you may have heard of years ago seem to be addressed. The ones made in the last 10 years or so appear to be a tough as anything else out there.

Anything CAN be broken if abused enough.
    Black 2000 TJ Sport, 4.0L, 5-Spd., RE LA 5.5", 36" IROK's, ARB's front & rear, and more..
    Amsoil Independent Dealer

www.lubedealer.com/BDS_Lube

Just look at all the high end race teams, when prize money is on the line, ARB's are in their axles. ARB offers awsome tech support, parts in stock, and a very long history. My favorite ARB story is the customers that 10 plus years ago purchased the original design ARB for their Dana 30, it eventually needed repair due to a broken shaft or needed new O rings. We sent them in to ARB for repair and all those customers received back the new generation Dana 30 ARB. No upcharge, only the same fee for the items the old locker needed. Now that's customer service!! Leave no customer behind!!

I've got a slightly bent 8.8 with a "very used" detroit locker that I'll sale you cheap. I haven't put it under my TJ yet. The previous owner says it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Best locker is easily the ARB. Fully locked when you need maximum traction, open for street driving or tight turns and no extra tire wear.

The reliability issues you may have heard of years ago seem to be addressed. The ones made in the last 10 years or so appear to be a tough as anything else out there.

Anything CAN be broken if abused enough.
    Everybody has opinions, it is a good thing we have options out there! I prefer Detroits, but that's me. I don't have to worry about fuses for the compressor, the compressor itself, air lines.... Also don't like to have to "think" to engage or disengage. Then again, I like a spool in back just as well as a Detroit 99% of the time.