Vet-day-2014
Screaming Lizard

Galvanized metal sealer?

What's the best method to seal a rusted bottom on galvanized water troughs? My dad has about 10 water troughs for his horses and some of the older ones have begun to rust up on the inside bottom. What's the best thing to use to coat the inside and wont release carcinogens to the horses when they drink the water?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

How rusted through are the bottoms? Three things come to mind:

The first was a infomerical on TV, they had a spray can of stop leak, if you ordered in the next five minutes you got double the order. Just pay seperate shipping and handling.

Second idea would be if it isn't too rusted through, maybe you could put a layer of foil over the rusted area and then spray it with a nice thick coating of bed liner.

Third idea, fix it with fiberglass. Or maybe auto body putty.
    Last edited by jonrjen; 08-08-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Another thought might be if you can find a few of those 55 gallon barrels that a lot of places order various liquids in..they are usually either blue or semi-transparent in color. You could cut them in half length wise and lay them inside of your rusted water trough.

Not too bad, yet. I even contacted the guys at POD-15. They said that their material would do it, but it is not intended or recommended for food grade. Really don't want to use anything that could potentially be toxic to animals. Food grade barrels are good, but horses like to chew on and play with them.

Just another thought then, would it be possible to use a good hard concrete and trowel it on in layers?

There's some stuff you can buy at most welding supplies. It's called Lab Metal. Goes on in putty form and dries very hard. It can be drilled and tapped and is the same color as galvanized metal.
    Kurt Wobig
    2001 white TJ, 8.8 Detroit locked rear, Dana 44, ARB locked Front. 5.13's, 37" Goodyear MTR's, Spyder Lock Beadlocks, Poison Spyder rocker knockers. Phantom front fenders, Rockhard roll cage, Poison Spyder comp-cut crusher corners and LED tail lights. 2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel Tow-Rig

Quote Originally Posted by white lightnin' View Post
    There's some stuff you can buy at most welding supplies. It's called Lab Metal. Goes on in putty form and dries very hard. It can be drilled and tapped and is the same color as galvanized metal.
    I had never heard of that, Thanks for sharing this information. That could come in real handy as often as I manage to break off parts on my tractors.