4Wheel Parts Coppell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

does the odometer add mileage while flat towing?

I know it's been asked before but I do not remember solid answer. Im looking at buying a new(er) XJ. The guy says the odometer has about 90k but its only been driven about 30k. So my question is does the odometer add mileagewhile flat towing? I know the speedo has a gear driven sensor and the gear is turning when the Jeep is moveing but its (electrical) sensor working without the key on?

Hayden
    P.S. Im looking at a 96 XJ 4x4

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

No, key must be on. Usually you can tell a 30K Jeep from a 90K one if you look close enough...Oil seepage, steering links, brake pedal, seat and trim

If they flat towed with the t-case in neutral, it will not add miles, but if it was in gear and the tranny in neutral, I think it will add miles.

You are suposed to flat tow with the t-case in neutral.

My TJ didn't add miles when I towed it. Everything was in neutral.

Out of HOA Hell, got my 1.5 acres of GOD's Country. Prosper, TX
    I would say no. When you flat tow a Jeep w/ an NP231, you usually put the t-case in neutral, and this doesn't allow the odo gear to spin.

If he didn't put the t-case in Neutral...... WEll I wouldn't want it.

Bear is offline LSJC Bronze Sponsor,LSJC Trail Leader
    My 2000 TJ manual states to flat tow with T-case in neutral and the manual transmission in gear. I believe this is to prevent the transmission from spinning due to viscous (sp??) coupling. I don't know if this is because it would not be lubricated properly or just cause added wear.
    Black 2000 TJ Sport, 4.0L, 5-Spd., RE LA 5.5", 36" IROK's, ARB's front & rear, and more..
    Amsoil Independent Dealer

www.lubedealer.com/BDS_Lube

The speedo gear still spins with the transfer case in Neutral, but with the electronics off the miles towed will not register :beer:

Thanks Dave, thats what I figured. And yes im sure I will be able to tell the difference of 30k and 90k by looking at it but I have not had the time to go get it and do that yet.

Everyone else..............The speedo gear drives from the output shaft of the t-case, therefore if the rear driveshaft is spinning so is the gear. So, it makes no difference if everything is in neutral or not.

Hayden

Of course this would only apply to the newer Jeeps with electronic odometers. If it has the old style gear/cable drive it would still register wouldn't it?
    Brian Ingle

I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member!

My CJ registers miles when I flat tow with everything in neutral and the key on off (unlock).

Nick